The centrepiece of a wedding reception is usually a table of food in the middle of the room, and it’s an often-overlooked opportunity for the bride and groom to show a little personality and make a memorable impression. Instead of going with the standard floral centrepieces, consider some unique options that will express your personalities and your style.
There are many different styles of wedding centrepieces to choose from. Whether you are planning a traditional, antique, vintage, or modern wedding, there are a variety of wedding centrepieces for you to choose from. You can also look for wedding centrepieces that coordinate with your wedding theme. If you are planning a wedding that is very contemporary, you may consider contemporary centrepieces that feature tall, thin vases and geometric design elements.
Popular “convertible” items to mix and match for creative centrepieces:
- Glass bubble bowls
- Glass dishes/shallow bowls
- Floating candles
You could gather some of the decorations mentioned above or design your own creative centrepiece.
The reception hall may often have standard centrepieces available onsite, though they will be more than willing to accept your special requests. If your wedding reception is at a private location, such as a park, your home or other non-commercial location, consider creating your own centrepieces. Some ideas are listed below for a traditional centrepiece design.
For a traditional and classic feel for the décor, consider:
- Coloured pillar candles with glass bubble bowls
- Handmade ceramic pot with a floral arrangement
- Stained or etched glass vases with a single, stemmed flower
- A standard pillar candle or a sculpted design
- A small collection of coloured wildflowers to highlight the wedding’s colour scheme
If these ideas don’t tickle your fancy of an ideal wedding centrepiece, perhaps you need to create some more classy designs. Below are a few ideas listed for stylish yet simple wedding centrepieces.
For a classy yet simple wedding centrepiece, try:
- Floating candles and river rocks or marbles in a shallow glass dish
- Floating petals and candles in a glass bowl
- Small metal pail with flowers, floating candles, seashells, etc.
- Hand-painted flowerpots with flowers
- Love poem scrolls in a small basket of flowers
When nature and the great outdoors are important aspects of your life, they will need to come out for the celebration. Let all your guests know at each table how much you love the wonder and beauty of the open country and nature. Select a centrepiece based on your own happiness of the simple gifts of life. Below are some examples listed that might be great additions to a country or garden themed wedding.
For a country or garden wedding theme, consider:
- Colour-coordinated birdhouses that match the wedding’s colour scheme
- Teacups and saucers or dainty teapots
- Stained of hand-painted wooden clocks
- Small basket of flowers, herbs, etc.
- Custom-made snow globes
- Christmas ornament – get a personalised traditional glass ball ornament for your special day.
If you still don’t love the centrepiece ideas mentioned above, start thinking of the types of centrepieces that your guests will always remember. Think creative and outrageous and see what ideas you come up with… below are a few ideas listed.
For a contemporary wedding centrepiece, try:
- Lucky Bamboo plants, to share the luck with your special guests
- Bonsai trees
- Candy jar with Hershey’s™ Hugs and Kisses
- Glass bubble bowl with colourful fish and glass marbles or stones to match – place a mirror below the bowl and add some floating petals for a special effect.
- Wishing wells or mini mailboxes with notepaper and pens for the guests to leave advice and love for the newlyweds!
Countless colour schemes and themes are accessible for brides and grooms to mix and match into their weddings and selecting the perfect centrepiece adds an element of creative control to the planning stage. With careful crafting and time, you can prepare and create the perfect designs and decorative pieces no matter what your budget may be.