Bridezilla: Term used to describe a difficult, unpleasant, perfectionist bride who leaves aggravated family, friends and bridal vendors in her wake.
What kind of bride do you want to be? Many brides-to-be look for the perfect combination of relaxed yet organized, kind yet assertive, and flexible yet decisive. While it’s bound to unleash at one point or another, your inner Bridezilla can be tamed if given proper attention. We’ve got three easy and effective ways to conquer the beast and bring out the peace.
Never thought you’d be the type of bride who would downward-dog her way into a state of mental harmony? Now is the perfect time to experiment with yoga. Studies show those who practice yoga even once a week are more likely to be happier as well as more confident in their decision-making. Try these beginner yoga poses for a clearer mind.
Suggestion: Play your favourite song, the one that makes you happy or puts a smile on your face, or simply some relaxing music. For extra calming effects, close your eyes and relax your jaw once you’re settled in each pose.
Seated Spinal Twist
This pose helps relieve stress for your entire body but mainly focuses on the lower back and neck area. In addition, it brings awareness to the midsection, which helps control breathing.
- Sit with crossed bent legs yoga-style on the floor
- Raise arms high above head and take a deep breath in through the nose
- Exhale slowly through the nose and twist your torso to the right as far as it can go (comfortably) without picking your left hip off the floor
- Place right hand on the floor next to or behind the right hip and place left hand on the right knee
- Either gaze over the right shoulder for a deeper twist or gaze over the left shoulder to counter twist
- Inhale slowly, twisting deeper with each exhale
- Repeat on left side
Relieving mental stress and fatigue, normalizing circulation, and gently stretching the hips, thighs and ankles, this pose is generally done with ease while having a significant impact.
- Kneel and sit on feet, knees about hip-distance apart
- Breathe in and place forehead on the floor
- Exhale fully and swing arms forward to touch the floor in front of the head
- Continue breathing deeply in and out
Relieving back pain, tired or cramped legs and feet, and relaxing the mind, this pose will give you a nice and easy back and neck stretch. It’s great to do when you’re feeling overwhelmed or just need five minutes to yourself.
Optional: To provide more support, place a blanket or a firm round bolster underneath the lower back, right above the tailbone.
- Lie down with buttocks as close to the wall as possible
- Extend legs up on the wall; flex toes
- Try to straighten knees (don’t force) by stretching hamstrings
- Breathe slowly in and out, straightening legs and deepening the pose
- For a deeper stretch, spread legs outward as far as is comfortable to get an inner-thigh-muscle stretch
- For extra calming effects, close your eyes and relax your jaw
Supported Chest Opener
This pose will help you feel confident and ambitious with your decisions. It also helps stretch your chest, sternum, shoulders and neck.
Optional: To provide more support, place a blanket or a firm round bolster underneath your upper back, right below shoulder blades.
- Sit with legs straight out in front of you
- Begin to recline torso toward floor, aligning upper back area with support (if you are using one)
- Roll head back to floor once settled
- Let elbows bend slightly and keep arms on the floor
2. Consultations With a Planner
Nobody said planning a wedding was easy or simple. A wedding planner, also known as a wedding coordinator or bridal consultant, can save you time, frustration and stress. Let’s admit it — most of us have been envisioning our dream wedding since we were children. Little did we know there happens to be much more behind a beautiful wedding than smiles and easy coasting.
Nowadays, a typical wedding takes around 100 – 200 hours to plan (gasp!) but if you take that into consideration early on, the panic will be subdued. While each wedding planner and their company is different, usually a wedding planner will assist you in terms of decorations, invitations, attire, food, music and more.
Sounds dreamy, right? Some bridal consultants are independent and others have companies with staff. Depending on your preference, you can have an army behind you or a more personal lifesaver. Whichever route you take will provide a fluffy cushion for you to fall back on. Most use online systems to keep you informed.
Some important areas of consideration are:
- Do you have the time to plan this wedding? Because many women have full-time jobs, they don’t have the time to intricately plan their dream wedding. If you’re pressed for time in any way, consider an interview with a wedding planner to help relieve stress.
- You want a beautiful and elegant wedding — every aspect of the day fit for a queen. However, this will cost you. Analyzing your budget and looking into the appropriate companies to hire for your wedding is essential.
- Keep in mind you aren’t the only one who will be planning your wedding. Many different personalities will tag along throughout the process, and whether you can handle the emotional responsibility is something to be prepared for.
- It all comes down to tolerance when it comes to the Bridezilla. Knowing your limits and how far they can be pushed will help you stay cool, calm and collected. Don’t let the beast get the best of you.
When interviewing your wedding planner, come prepared with a list of questions. Remember, this is your day, and you want a company or person who will cater to all of your needs. Personal recommendations are always desirable, however, you want your own personality and strengths to shine on your special day. Here are some questions to keep in mind:
- How much experience do you have, and what training/certifications have you completed?
- Do you have a business license and business insurance?
- How do you charge for your services?
- Do you take vendor referral fees?
- If for some reason you are unable to perform on the wedding day, what procedures are taken in order to ensure smooth service as well as a replacement?
If you’ve got some emotion (good or bad) cooped up inside of you begging to come out, let it out in a healthy way. Taking fitness classes will not only tone your physique, it will help you release tension stored in your body and mind. From kickboxing to Zumba, any fitness class will help improve your well-being. Learn more about these fun and effective workouts below:
Not only does kickboxing kick your butt into shape, it helps your mind focus and clears the cobwebs. After you’ve done your uppercuts and side hooks you’ll feel powerful, sexy and determined. Kickboxing combines elements of boxing, martial arts and aerobics to provide overall physical conditioning and toning. You’ll sweat out the stress to feel refreshed and ready to put your planning into action.
If you love a much-needed girl’s night out of dancing every so often, try Zumba. The new craze in the dance-fitness world, Zumba is the sexy new way to dance out your emotions. With a fusion of Latin and international music, this workout is your way to acquire a sound mind, get fit, and, most importantly, have fun while doing it. While the dance moves are made for beginners, even if you find it challenging you’ll have no problem creating your own dance to the funky music. So break a sweat, shake some hips and get pumped to plan your wedding.
Craving a fitness class with the “no pain, no gain” approach? Spinning is an intense workout that will have you burning — and yearning for more. Targeting the lower half of your body but also toning the upper half, spinning is an exercise that is done on a stationary bike. With motivating music and unique exercises, this fitness class is great for releasing inner tension and stress. After you’ve burned around 500 – 700 calories in class, you’ll feel ready for action.
If you’d like to tone on your own time, weight training is the perfect way to see results emotionally and physically. This workout helps relieve stress and relaxes the mind because confidence boosts your mood. When you begin to see little muscles budding due to your hard work, this will give you the feeling that you can conquer anything. Start with five-pound weights and work your arms — specifically your triceps, biceps and deltoids. If your wedding dress reveals your arms, these arm toners will help you feel especially confident.